Mother Of Teen Shot By Police Says She Won’t Watch Body Cam Video
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Body cam footage released Monday from September 4th shows an officer shooting 13-year-old Linden Cameron around a dozen times. But Golda Barton can’t bring herself to watch it.
“I can’t, I just can’t watch him fall down. Like I just don’t want to watch him fall down,” she said.
Golda Barton says if she watches it, she’ll never be able to unsee it.
“I can’t see it. I won’t see it and I can’t see it. I won’t even watch it when it comes out. I don’t want to ever see it. I can’t ever see it. I don’t want to see it,” she said.
Barton called 911 to ask for help from specialized officers – ones who are trained to deal with mental illness. She said Linden has autism, and was having an emotional episode. In the 911 call and in the body cam video, Barton tells police he might have a weapon, but she wasn’t sure it was a real gun.
“Did they have any reason to shoot him? No. No! Not at all. Not at all. No. No,” she said.
Barton says Linden saw the officers show up at his house and he was scared, so he ran from them. She said after the shooting, he is still recovering in the hospital, and she says it could be weeks before he’s out.
As for where he was shot, Barton says everywhere.
“So this one…and then here, here, here, here, here and then here,” Baron said, pointing to Linden’s feet.
Barton says she met with police today, including the chief of police, and they gave her their condolences, but she didn’t want to hear it.
“It’s hollow words, it’s just completely like they’re just saying it because it’s almost like, if you get caught doing something wrong and then suddenly you feel so bad but it’s too late. It’s too late to feel bad,” she said.
Barton said one positive thing to come out of this, is that people from all over the world have been sending Linden cards and well wishes, and she’s been grateful for all the support she’s felt.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)