Keeping Kids Focused On School During The Pandemic
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Our kids have masks and social distancing to contend with at school this year.
Then there are the hours staring at a screen while virtual learning.
It’s no wonder some kids may get distracted, but there are ways to help keep them focused.
Whether kids are learning from home or back in the classroom, it’s not a normal school year.
If your student is distracted, help them by keeping a routine – go to bed at the same time each night, and if they’re virtual learning, plan meal times and brain breaks.
Also help them establish organization skills.
“Helping your kids to find ways to know what’s coming so they can expect what’s happening and know what’s going on in their day is really helpful,” said Dr. Stephanie Walsh, medical director of child wellness at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.
She said talking to your kids about how things are going with school can help clear their heads and fuel their focus.
If they’re home, make sure you think about where your child is learning.
“Are they sitting in the same space?” Walsh said. “Are they sitting in the same place they watch television in? Because that can also be pretty distracting.”
Finally, make time for fun. It’s something kids can look forward to.
“We talk a lot about how contagious COVID is, but laughter is also pretty contagious,” she said. “So if you can start finding the humor in things, finding the kindness is different aspects and finding some gratitude that will really help your kid stay focused on what’s going on and school work.”
Walsh said it’s also important to realize that this is not a normal time for anyone. There will be good days and bad, so expect that and be flexible.
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16465)
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8845)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8387)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7811)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6345)