Alta, Brighton Highs Temporarily Moving To Split-Schedule
SANDY, Utah – Officials with the Canyons School District said Alta and Brighton high schools will be moving to a split-schedule beginning Wednesday.
“The split-schedule opens the door for students to return to campus for classes while also decreasing the number of students on campus at any one time,” officials said. “It’s hoped this schedule will reduce the number of students quarantined after a possible exposure to COVID-19, better support physical distancing and supplement existing contact tracing efforts.”
Officials said 22 active COVID-19 cases were reported over the last two weeks at Alta and 13 at Brighton. Forty-seven Alta students and staff and 115 Brighton students and staff have been quarantined.
Both schools reported in-person attendance between 85-90% and over 2,000 students were attending in-person classes.
“The new schedule replaces the online-only learning model that was put into place Wednesday, Sept. 23 in response to an increase in positive cases of the novel coronavirus, coupled with a significant number of students who had been placed on quarantine because of a possible exposure,” Canyons officials said.
Alta High Schedule
- Wednesday (A Day) for students with last names starting with letters L-Z
- Thursday (B Day) for students with the last names L-Z
- Friday will be a day of virtual learning, or independent study, for students.
- Monday (A Day) for students with last names starting with letters A-K
- Tuesday (B Day) for students with last names A-K
- Wednesday, Oct. 14 (A Day) for students with last names L-Z
No classes will be held Oct. 15-16 for fall recess. Officials said A-K students will attend Oct. 19 (A Day) and Oct. 20 (B Day), while L-Z students will attend Oct. 21 (A Day) and Oct. 22 (B Day).
Brighton High Schedule
- Wednesday — Students with last names starting with letters A-K
- Thursday — Students with the last names starting with letters L-Z
- Monday — Students with last names starting with letters A-K
- Tuesday — Students with last names L-Z
- Wednesday, Oct. 14 — Students with last names A-K
No classes will be held Oct. 15-16 for fall recess.
“The next week, the rotating pattern of A-K students attending one day, then L-Z students attending the next, will continue until Thursday, Oct. 22,” officials said. “For the ease of students and parents, a calendar for the split-schedule will be published on the school’s website.”
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7254)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 4854)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 4398)
- 'He seemed prepared for battle:' Neighbors terrified after encounter with armed stranger (pageviews: 3683)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3016)
- One dead, one in critical condition after being hit while changing tires in Ogden (pageviews: 2865)