52 SLC Police Officers Quarantined, 17 Positive For COVID-19
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Nearly 10% of Salt Lake City police officers have been impacted by COVID-19, with 52 officers in quarantine due to positive tests or possible exposure.
According to the department, as of Tuesday, 17 officers have tested positive for the virus and the remaining 35 have been exposed.
“It’s kind of hard for us because so many of our officers have to go out and have contact with people. It’s not like they can just sit at the office,” said Detective Michael Ruff with the Salt Lake City Police Department. “It’s unfortunate that we have officers exposed.”
But Ruff said people can rest assured that this will not compromise their safety.
“We still have to respond to calls and the public expects us to be there and we are going to be there,” said Ruff. “We have the ability to move people around just like we do if there is a big event or there is a spike in crime.”
Speaking of major security events, Vice President Mike Pence is in Salt Lake City for the much-anticipated debate that will be held at the University of Utah Wednesday night.
CHOPPER 5: Here's a bird's-eye view of the University of Utah this morning, as officials are making final preparations…
Pence will square off against Democratic nominee Sen. Kamala Harris.
Ruff said this event is a year in the planning so fortunately, they have plenty of officers from other agencies already lined up to help out.
“We will all work together to make sure the public is as safe as ever,” said Ruff.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 3523)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 3509)
- Body found in Jordan River, police investigating (pageviews: 3503)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 3387)
- Wednesday's Child: Creative 13-year-old Kaydee hopes to find forever family (pageviews: 2864)
- Sewage provides alternative insight into COVID-19 surge direction (pageviews: 2841)