High 5: Southern Utah Golf Tournament Benefits Teachers
ST. GEORGE, Utah – In southern Utah, the Washington County School District Foundation raises thousands of dollars for teachers grants.
In large part, it’s thanks to the efforts of one man.
Southern Utah is known for its beautiful red rocks and amazing golf courses, so what better way to raise money than to hit the links?
“It’s a golf tournament that everyone wants to be a part of,” said Vasu Mudliar, chairman of the Fore The Kids Charity Golf Tournament for the Washington County School District Foundation. “It’s the biggest fundraiser for teacher grants.”
A full-time firefighter, he donates his time gathering sponsors and arranging the event each year.
“We’ve raised over a half-million dollars towards the grant program in the years we’ve done it,” Mudliar said.
According to the school district, the money raised at the tournament is critical to teachers.
“Utah is the lowest-funded state in the nation for classroom dollars,” said Steve Dunham, director of communications for the Washington County School District. “Our teachers need extra money, and these extra monies we can provide to the classroom help make learning fun.”
From computers to books, the money raised from the tournament is put to good use.
“All the proceeds, 100%, every penny, goes to that program,” Mudliar said.
Do you know someone doing good in our community? A friend or family member building up neighbors or a coworker giving selflessly? Click here to nominate them for a KSL High 5.
- Amazon Driver Accused Of Throwing, Damaging Layton Man's Flags (pageviews: 9790)
- 'He Was So Caring': Family Remembers Teen Killed In Spanish Fork Crash (pageviews: 7246)
- Several Park Goers Concerned About Capacity At Lagoon (pageviews: 6967)
- Man Arrested For DUI After Fatal Spanish Fork Crash (pageviews: 6784)
- Surveillance Photos Show Missing Teen With Man, Woman (pageviews: 6331)
- University Of Utah Doctors, Nurses Plead For Help As ICU Hits 99% Capacity (pageviews: 5538)
- Parent Calls SLC School Board Emails 'Unprofessional' & 'Unethical' (pageviews: 4778)
- Idaho Police Seeking Public's Help In Locating Missing Park City Hiker (pageviews: 2972)
- COVID-19 Impacting Snow Removal In Woodland Hills (pageviews: 2872)