Small Aftershock Shakes Magna Months After Magnitude 5.7 Quake
MAGNA, Utah – Another small aftershock shook the northwestern side of Salt Lake County late Friday night, and officials with the Utah Division of Emergency Management said the smaller earthquakes can continue for months after March’s magnitude 5.7 quake.
The aftershock occurred at 11:18 p.m. Friday and was initially reported as a magnitude 2.4 quake.
“It’s not unheard of to have small aftershocks even after almost seven months,” officials said in a tweet. “You can go back to bed now if you felt that magnitude 2.4 earthquake a few minutes ago. Chances are most didn’t notice it though.”
— KSL 5 TV (@KSL5TV) October 10, 2020
The aftershock was initially reported as a magnitude 2.4 but was downgraded to a 2.3 by seismologists at the University of Utah.
“Aftershock activity is expected to continue for months, but with the rate continuing to decrease with time,” seismologists said.
Officials said seismograph stations have located 2,498 aftershocks since March 18’s earthquake, including 115 of magnitude 2.3 or larger and 40 of magnitude 3.0 and larger.
“In recent weeks there has been, on the average, approximately one aftershock per day large enough to locate, most of them smaller than magnitude 2.0,” they said.
Last night's M 2.3 earthquake was widely felt throughout the Salt Lake Valley. This earthquake occurred near the March 18, 2020 Magna earthquake and is part of the ongoing aftershock sequence.
— UUSS (@UUSSquake) October 10, 2020
- Police Release New Photos, Info In Mackenzie Lueck Murder Case (pageviews: 12929)
- West Valley Family Angered After Christmas Decorations Were Stolen (pageviews: 3889)
- Baby Born From 27-Year-Old Embryo Believed To Have Broken Record Set By Big Sister (pageviews: 3606)
- Dying Cancer Patient Forced From Utah County Home Even Though He Can Pay Rent (pageviews: 3300)
- Utah Reports 11 More People Have Died, 3,945 Tested Positive For COVID-19 (pageviews: 3277)
- Hale Center Theatre Orem Apologizes After Woman With Down Syndrome Asked To Leave Over Mask (pageviews: 2818)
- 3K Test Positive For COVID-19, 8 More Utahns Have Died (pageviews: 1618)
- 'Merry Monolith' Appears In Popular Utah Christmas Display (pageviews: 1540)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness (pageviews: 1480)