North Ogden Family Finds Inspiration In Story Of 3-Legged Dog
NORTH OGDEN, Utah — Two years after an ATV accident that led to a leg amputation, Harley the dog is proving to be an inspiration to those around her.
“It was seriously so incredible and we’re so lucky to have her,” said Kenzie Spencer, owner of the black Border Collie-German Shepherd mix. “(The accident) was something so weird — you just wouldn’t think of that happening.”
Spencer said her father had taken the pup, who was 1-year-old at the time, on an ATV trip when a terrible mishap took place.
“There was a tie-down strap in the middle and what happened is it ended up pulling one of her legs down through the drive shaft,” Spencer said. “The way he pulled it out, the vet said that’s the reason she didn’t bleed to death.”
Still, the family was faced with a difficult choice — amputate the badly-injured leg or put the dog down.
As it turned out, Spencer said it wasn’t much of a choice at all.
“Dogs are like family and it would be like losing a family member,” Spencer said. “It wasn’t an option to not keep her around.”
Now two years removed from the ordeal, Spencer said Harley has recovered to be as fast and amble as any dog — traits she readily displays when she chases after her favorite toy — the Frisbee.
“She’s just super fast and gets along well on three legs,” Spencer said.
Spencer said the neighbors have all come to adore Harley and have made up the nicknames, ‘Tripod’ and ‘I-lean.’
Harley’s family said whatever she is called, her story can be called nothing less than remarkable.
“She’s awesome,” Spencer said. “She’s a miracle.”
- Utah Teacher Hospitalized After Breaking Back On Vacation (pageviews: 21432)
- Parent Calls SLC School Board Emails 'Unprofessional' & 'Unethical' (pageviews: 11908)
- Missing Hiker Found In Zion National Park, Family Says (pageviews: 5581)
- Political Opponents For Utah Governor Release Joint Ads Calling For Civility (pageviews: 4994)
- Tanner Park Shooting Victim Dies Of Injuries; Teen Taken Into Custody (pageviews: 3046)
- Police Looking For Suspect Who Shot Three People Near Tanner Park (pageviews: 2433)
- Dixie Regional Medical Center Opens Surge ICU Unit (pageviews: 2030)
- 7.5 Magnitude Quake Off Alaska Prompts Tsunami Warning (pageviews: 1970)
- Human-Caused Range Fire Originated From Orem Police Gun Range, Officials Say (pageviews: 1820)