Suspect Killed By Police In Tooele Hostage Situation
TOOELE, Utah – A man in his 30s was shot and killed by police officers during a hostage situation when officials said he went for his gun.
Chief Ron Kirby from the Tooele City Police Department said the initial call came to emergency dispatchers around 9 p.m. Saturday.
A family member reported the suspect was violating a protective order and was armed.
Police responded to a shopping area, where the man took a woman hostage. The woman was believed to be his girlfriend.
Lt. Jeremy Hansen said a juvenile male was also taken hostage. Negotiators convinced the suspect to release the juvenile several hours before the situation escalated.
After what Chief Kirby described as a “very long, very tense” standoff with officers, around 3 a.m. the man attempted to brandish his gun. It was not clear if he pointed the firearm at officers or fired any shots.
Chief Kirby said officers responded, and fatally shot the man, “to protect the woman and themselves.”
The woman was transported by ground to the Tooele Valley Hospital with serious injuries that were not considered life-threatening. It was not clear how she sustained those injuries.
Officials did not release the identities or the man or woman.
Kirby said the police department would be conducting an administrative investigation. Officials from the Utah Department of Public Safety were brought in to conduct an investigation of the Officer Involved Critical Incident Protocol.
- Utah Teacher Hospitalized After Breaking Back On Vacation (pageviews: 21432)
- Parent Calls SLC School Board Emails 'Unprofessional' & 'Unethical' (pageviews: 11908)
- Missing Hiker Found In Zion National Park, Family Says (pageviews: 5581)
- Political Opponents For Utah Governor Release Joint Ads Calling For Civility (pageviews: 4994)
- Tanner Park Shooting Victim Dies Of Injuries; Teen Taken Into Custody (pageviews: 3046)
- Police Looking For Suspect Who Shot Three People Near Tanner Park (pageviews: 2433)
- Dixie Regional Medical Center Opens Surge ICU Unit (pageviews: 2030)
- 7.5 Magnitude Quake Off Alaska Prompts Tsunami Warning (pageviews: 1970)
- Human-Caused Range Fire Originated From Orem Police Gun Range, Officials Say (pageviews: 1820)