UDOT Continues Progress On Bridge In 5600 West Improvement Project
WEST VALLEY CIY, Utah – The Utah Department of Transportation is one step closer to completing the 5600 West Improvement Project by putting bridge beams up where cars will eventually be able to cross over the train tracks.
UDOT said drivers are currently sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic – sometimes for up to an hour, – on the two-way stretch of road just south of Interstate 80.
Throughout the week, UDOT crews will be placing beams for the bridge that will go over the railroad tracks, so eventually drivers will no longer have to sit and wait.
“Our goal here is really to improve the quality of life for people who have to drive this stretch of road every day,” said UDOT spokesperson John Gleason. “There is so much business out here, so many vehicles, so we want to make sure we are planning for that future growth and making sure people don’t have to stop unnecessarily for trains.”
UDOT is also using a unique construction material called Geofoam as part of the road base and bridge. Its use will help avoid ripping out existing utilities and is cost efficient.
As part of the project, UDOT is widening 5600 West from state Route 201 to I-80 from two lanes to five.
The entire project is slated to be complete by fall of 2021.
- Police Release New Photos, Info In Mackenzie Lueck Murder Case (pageviews: 12929)
- West Valley Family Angered After Christmas Decorations Were Stolen (pageviews: 3889)
- Baby Born From 27-Year-Old Embryo Believed To Have Broken Record Set By Big Sister (pageviews: 3606)
- Dying Cancer Patient Forced From Utah County Home Even Though He Can Pay Rent (pageviews: 3300)
- Utah Reports 11 More People Have Died, 3,945 Tested Positive For COVID-19 (pageviews: 3277)
- Hale Center Theatre Orem Apologizes After Woman With Down Syndrome Asked To Leave Over Mask (pageviews: 2818)
- 3K Test Positive For COVID-19, 8 More Utahns Have Died (pageviews: 1618)
- 'Merry Monolith' Appears In Popular Utah Christmas Display (pageviews: 1540)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness (pageviews: 1480)