Prescribed Burn Scheduled For Utah Test & Training Range This Week
HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah – Fire and smoke may be visible from the Utah Test and Training Range’s North Range along Interstate 80 this week as the Air Force completes a prescribed burn.
A news release said drivers on I-80 between Wendover and Tooele could see smoke and/or flames near Exit 62 Tuesday through Friday.
The Air Force said the burn is to get rid of cheatgrass, tumbleweed and other invasive species that are blocking sunlight, water and nutrients from native vegetation.
“The burn area is approximately 500 acres,” said Russ Lawrence, manager of Hill AFB’s Natural Resource Program. “This is nearby where we did an aerial spray this week of approximately 600 acres. We have found a combination of spraying and burning is the best approach to remove the invasive species.”
The Air Force plans a prescribed burn today thru Oct. 23 on the Utah Test and Training Range’s North Range, which is located north of I-80 between Wendover and Tooele. Travelers on I-80, near Exit 62, may notice fire and smoke during the burn period. https://t.co/T9O6fnDsxt
— Hill Air Force Base (@HAFB) October 20, 2020
Lawrence said the cheatgrass and tumbleweed are also a wildfire threat. The Air Force tried to do the same work last year but the weather did not cooperate.
“We hope to reseed this new burned and sprayed section next year with a diverse mix of vegetation that is more fire-resistant to create a tactical fire break,” Lawrence said. “This will help us safely manage any wildland fires before they can get out of control.”
- Police Release New Photos, Info In Mackenzie Lueck Murder Case (pageviews: 12929)
- West Valley Family Angered After Christmas Decorations Were Stolen (pageviews: 3889)
- Baby Born From 27-Year-Old Embryo Believed To Have Broken Record Set By Big Sister (pageviews: 3606)
- Dying Cancer Patient Forced From Utah County Home Even Though He Can Pay Rent (pageviews: 3300)
- Utah Reports 11 More People Have Died, 3,945 Tested Positive For COVID-19 (pageviews: 3277)
- Hale Center Theatre Orem Apologizes After Woman With Down Syndrome Asked To Leave Over Mask (pageviews: 2818)
- 3K Test Positive For COVID-19, 8 More Utahns Have Died (pageviews: 1618)
- 'Merry Monolith' Appears In Popular Utah Christmas Display (pageviews: 1540)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness (pageviews: 1480)