Salt Lake Olympic Committee Resumes Work To Bring Games Back To Utah
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Salt Lake Olympic Committee organized to bring the Games back here met for the first time Wednesday since the beginning of the pandemic.
“Salt Lake City and Utah are uniquely positioned to host and to deliver,” said Cindy Crane back in February.
Crane is the chairwoman of the newly formed Salt Lake City – Utah Committee for the Games.
There was no way to know how much life was going to change in the next few months when she made those remarks in early 2020.
The governing board hasn’t met since.
Wednesday afternoon’s meeting was virtual, of course.
Earlier this year the 2020 Olympics were put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic. However, the Summer Games are now less than a year away, and the Winter Games only six months after.
One of their first moves the committee made Wednesday was to adopt a conduct and ethics policy, as well as a policy regarding diversity and inclusion.
Crane said that’s important to the board and the right thing to do.
“I believe you have to set the foundation of your values and your culture,” said Crane. “So that’s where we’re starting today, and we’re excited to build from that.”
The board is also making sure former athletes are involved on the committee.
“They have just really geared up and we’re really excited to be able to have them,” said Crane.
But the big question for many people remains — when could the games come back to Utah?
It’s something the Salt Lake team continues to discuss with the United States Olympic Committee.
“Obviously, we are having strategic discussions with them to really figure out what makes sense. Not just for Salt Lake City and Utah, but for the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee and our Team USA athletes. So, it’s a broad continuing conversation,” said Crane.
Los Angeles is hosting the 2028 Summer Games, which might put a wrench in an attempt to return to Salt Lake City in 2030.
Traditionally, the International Olympic Committee doesn’t award back-to-back games to the same country.
However, things could change and as the Salt Lake City – Utah committee likes to say, Utah is ready, willing and able to host the Games as soon as possible.
- Police Release New Photos, Info In Mackenzie Lueck Murder Case (pageviews: 12929)
- West Valley Family Angered After Christmas Decorations Were Stolen (pageviews: 3889)
- Baby Born From 27-Year-Old Embryo Believed To Have Broken Record Set By Big Sister (pageviews: 3606)
- Dying Cancer Patient Forced From Utah County Home Even Though He Can Pay Rent (pageviews: 3300)
- Utah Reports 11 More People Have Died, 3,945 Tested Positive For COVID-19 (pageviews: 3277)
- Hale Center Theatre Orem Apologizes After Woman With Down Syndrome Asked To Leave Over Mask (pageviews: 2818)
- 3K Test Positive For COVID-19, 8 More Utahns Have Died (pageviews: 1618)
- 'Merry Monolith' Appears In Popular Utah Christmas Display (pageviews: 1540)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness (pageviews: 1480)