Focus On Student Safety During Walk In Honor Of Lauren McCluskey
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Friends and family of Lauren McCluskey focused on student safety while they gathered for a walk in her honor Thursday afternoon on the second anniversary of her murder.
Lauren’s mother stood on the track where her daughter ran for the University of Utah. “It is a really mixed emotion day. I woke up just with sadness that this is the day she died,” Jill McCluskey said.
She talked about the settlement agreement her family reached with the university, which was announced earlier Thursday.
“I feel like now that they have taken responsibility, that was really a hugely important step,” she said.
She is happy to put that legal fight behind her and now look ahead to focus on helping others.
As part of the settlement between the State of Utah and Lauren McCluskey's family, the U of U will raise money for an indoor track facility to bear Lauren's name and donate $3M to the Lauren McCluskey Foundation. The state will pay the McCluskeys $10.5M https://t.co/5LrADskTbF
— KSL 5 TV (@KSL5TV) October 22, 2020
“The campaign we have done so far is mainly Lauren’s promise,” McCluskey said.
Signs were posted around the running track which reminded participants of that promise.
“One-third of women in Utah will experience physical violence by her partner,” one woman read off a sign.
Another sign said, “I will listen and believe you if someone is threatening you.”
McCluskey called it a step towards improving safety on campus.
“No one should experience the loss of a child,” she said. “It has been hard and we miss her every day but I am hopeful for everything going on.”
Natalie Platil was Lauren’s teammate. “She came to practice with a smile on her face every day. She was so happy to be there,” Platil said.
As part of the settlement, the university agreed to build an indoor track and athletic facility in Lauren’s honor.
"As part of the settlement, the University of Utah has pledged to build an indoor track facility… named after Lauren.” – @jjmccluskey #ForLauren #GoUtes @utahathletics @Utah_trackfieldhttps://t.co/XaZZFV4xyH
— KSL Sports (@kslsports) October 22, 2020
- Slain Enoch girl texted friend that dad was acting strange and she was worried (pageviews: 14110)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13553)
- Body found inside limestone kiln in Salt Lake City foothills (pageviews: 8491)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said (pageviews: 7883)
- BREAKING: Shots fired at Taylorsville High School (pageviews: 7144)
- BREAKING: Shots fired at Taylorsville High School - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5583)