Pack It Out Utah Event Rallying Volunteers To Clean Up Trails, Waterways
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utahns who love the outdoors would do anything to keep the state clean and pristine.
The Utah State University Extension is leading an effort through Nov. 8, and they are asking for Utahns’ help.
It is the first ever statewide trails and waterway cleanup, and the campaign is reminding all residents to “Pack it Out” to keep the great outdoors great.
It’s described as “A socially distanced volunteer event to remove garbage from public lands and help improve our waterways.”
“Utah’s public lands experienced a surge of outdoor recreation this year,” according to the event page. “While more people enjoying the great outdoors is inspiring, unfortunately, it has led to an increase in garbage ending up on trails, parks, neighborhoods, and eventually, in our waterways.”
The Pack it Out Utah event notes that the idea is to encourage Utahns across the Beehive State to act as stewards for public lands and watersheds by collecting trash.
To participate, go to the event page where organizers have created a map of suggested locations to collect trash.
The USU Extension suggests several places across the state, including Salem Pond, locations along the Jordan River, state reservoirs, and places close to the Great Salt Lake.
Volunteers will sign up so the USU Extension can track how many people have signed up.
Everyone who registers for the event will be entered to win prizes for participating, according to the Pack it Out Utah page.
“You can also collect trash in your neighborhood, a local park, or waterway,” according to the event’s site. “Anywhere trash is collected will have a positive impact on your local environment.”
- A total lunar eclipse will turn the moon red. Here's how to watch (pageviews: 5221)
- Some high school seniors in Utah concerned about graduation attire – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5184)
- Fatal crash on I15 in Farmington, police investigating (pageviews: 3101)
- Police arrest man accused off fatally hitting a woman, dragging body (pageviews: 2965)
- Woman dies in rollover crash on I-215 (pageviews: 2647)
- Some high school seniors in Utah concerned about graduation attire (pageviews: 2373)