124 New COVID Cases, 2 More Deaths Reported On Navajo Nation
WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — The Navajo Department of Health has reported 124 new COVID-19 cases and 2 more deaths on the reservation.
The updated case counts were released Sunday.
Health officials reported that a total of 131,873 residents have been tested so far. Of those individuals, a total of 12,571 tested positive for COVID-19.
With the two additional deaths reported Sunday, the Navajo Nation’s death toll has risen to 593 people.
To date, 7,641 residents have recovered from COVID-19.
Officials said the increase in cases was “largely due to travel off the Navajo Nation and family gatherings.”
“The numbers are not looking good for us here on the Navajo Nation and across the country. Considering the hardships and adversities that our ancestors endured and overcame, it shouldn’t be difficult to stay home, wear a mask, wash your hands, social distance, and to avoid family gatherings and large crowds. We have to be stronger, we have to be more disciplined, and we have to be more optimistic,” said Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez.
“Please do everything you can to protect your children, elders, and those with existing health conditions. We have to keep fighting this pandemic together and we have to continue to pray for everyone. We are in this together and we will overcome this pandemic together. Be safe and don’t give up,” said Vice President Myron Lizer.
The Navajo Nation is in the Four Corners area and includes San Juan County in southeastern Utah. Here is a breakdown of positive COVID-19 cases by service unit:
- Chinle Service Unit: 2,774
- Crownpoint Service Unit: 1,345
- Ft. Defiance Service Unit: 1,279
- Gallup Service Unit: 1,951
- Kayenta Service Unit: 1,448
- Shiprock Service Unit: 1,877
- Tuba City Service Unit: 1,258
- Winslow Service Unit: 630
The Navajo Nation also has an online resource guide at http://www.ndoh.navajo-nsn.gov/COVID-19.
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 12259)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7066)
- Utah deputies identify suspect in 1972 murder, rape case; still looking for second suspect (pageviews: 6499)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 5989)
- Utahn charged with assault after allegedly holding blade to woman's throat on flight (pageviews: 5264)
- Utah man buys humidifier found with five packages of cocaine in it (pageviews: 5001)
- Two injured in I-80 crash; several crashes reported as Thanksgiving travel picks up (pageviews: 4528)