UHP Trooper Stops Wrong-Way Driver Near Nephi
MONA, Utah – Officials with the Utah Highway Patrol said a trooper likely saved lives after he successfully intercepted a wrong-way driver on Interstate 15 north of Nephi.
The incident happened Friday around 11:30 p.m. in Juab County, when dispatch received calls of a driver going north on southbound I-15 near the north Nephi exit.
Trooper Geoffrey Hall located the minivan, which had stopped in the median, near milepost 232. As Hall tried to make contact with the driver, the vehicle drove off.
“(Trooper) Hall cut back to the northbound travel lanes and accelerated past the minivan that was now traveling over 100 mph,” officials said. “(Trooper) Hall could see several cars traveling south and moved ahead of the van to try and warn oncoming cars. The van passed the 233 (Mona) exit and continued the wrong way.”
At the next crossover, officials said Hall recognized the danger to the public, pulled into the median and rammed the minivan.
The front of Hall’s patrol vehicle impacted the minivan, which was pushed off the road near a freeway fence.
Hall was not injured in the crash, and the driver of the minivan suffered “some minor abrasions from flying debris during the collision,” troopers said.
Officers with the Nephi Police Department arrested the wrong-way driver on suspicion of DUI, having a suspended driver license for failure to appear/comply, being an alcohol-restricted driver and requiring an ignition interlock device that was not installed.
Officers also said the minivan driver is on parole.
“Trooper Hall’s actions likely saved lives on this night,” UHP officials said.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 11575)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9563)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 5197)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 3641)
- Live (pageviews: 2740)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2074)