Pilot Hospitalized After Ogden Plane Crash
OGDEN, Utah – Emergency crews confirmed a pilot was injured and hospitalized following a small plane crash in Ogden.
The crash happened Thursday afternoon. Shelby Willis with Ogden Fire Department said the pilot had an in-flight emergency shortly after a successful take-off.
Willis said the pilot decided to land back at the airport and skidded off the runway into a field.
“He had declared an emergency, said he was having some engine problems … and when he tried to land, he ended up landing long,” said airport manager Bryant Garrett. “It looks like the pilot did as good a job as he could have done under the circumstances.”
Garrett said it’s a situation that’s not uncommon, and pilots often land back on the runway and it never makes the news. But it didn’t turn out that way Thursday.
Investigators said the pilot dodged airport equipment and a fence before landing on a berm next to Airport Road.
“If he had overshot it, he probably would have been out in traffic and it was about 4:00 in the afternoon out there,” Garrett said.
The pilot was the only person on board; he was extricated from the aircraft and taken to an area hospital with injuries that were not considered life-threatening.
Crews responded to a fatal crash near the Ogden-Hinckley Airport in January 2020. It was the fifth crash in less than four years in the area.
Last week, crews responded to an emergency landing on Interstate 80 near Park City.
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch (pageviews: 10947)
- Live (pageviews: 6780)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 5943)
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5940)
- BREAKING: Abortion now prohibited in Utah (pageviews: 4798)
- Utah 'trigger law' banning abortion to go into effect after Roe v. Wade overturned (pageviews: 4654)