High 5: Donating Dough With Kid Bread Bakery
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Few things in life feel quite as comforting as freshly-baked bread.
Kid Bread Bakery is a home-based bakery in Salt Lake City that turns out delicious offerings – usually sold to boost Ellie, Henry and Penny White’s funds for camps or vacations.
“Our parents told us if we wanted to go to summer camp, we would have to earn the money ourselves,” Ellie said. “At first we were like, ‘What? No way! We can’t do that!'”
“We’re kids,” Penny said.
“It was a lot more money than we thought we could raise by ourselves,” Ellie added.
So they baked, and baked, and baked. They delivered the goods and made more dough – so much so that they decided to give back.
This year they found Brighter Futures, a foster care organization that needed help to provide a merry Christmas for those in need.
“We were like, ‘Oh my gosh. We can do that. We can help them to have a Christmas this year when otherwise they wouldn’t,'” Ellie said.
They dropped off $160 worth of gifts and money to the organization, thanks to a little flour and sugar and a whole lot of heart.
“I loved it when the coworkers were like, ‘Thank you, you are so awesome,'” Henry said.
“Kids should know that they can do a lot if they have a goal,” mom Emily White said. “If they have an aspiration or if they want to help people, they can. Kids can do a lot.”
America First Credit Union heard about what the White kids are doing, and they wanted to help out, too. They sent Kid Bread Bakery a gift card to put toward their next project.
Do you know someone doing good in our community? A friend or family member building up neighbors or a coworker giving selflessly? Click here to nominate them for a KSL High 5.
- Utah teacher frustrated after hit-and-run driver not charged (pageviews: 10067)
- A total lunar eclipse will turn the moon red. Here's how to watch (pageviews: 8272)
- Imagine Dragons, Zions Bank surprise Velour owner with paid-off mortgage (pageviews: 7062)
- Body found in Millard County confirmed to be missing Texas man (pageviews: 5766)
- Utah woman sues school district for giving child to stranger, nanny for kidnapping (pageviews: 5102)
- Woman dies in rollover crash on I-215 (pageviews: 4738)
- Utah man stabs woman in Tinder meet up in 'an attempt to kill her' (pageviews: 4645)