Hiker Rescued From Cliff Ledge After Falling Over 100 Feet
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Rescue crews were called out to help an injured hiker after he fell more than 100 feet near the base of Ensign Peak in Salt Lake City.
The 29-year-male was hiking above the rock quarry near Hell Canyon off Victory Road Sunday when he fell.
“Somewhere along that hike, he misstepped, got too close to the edge and took a slide and tumble halfway down the cliff base into the rock quarry,” said Batallion Chief Mark Bednarik, Salt Lake City Fire Department.
Officials with the Salt Lake City Fire Department said the man landed on a cliff ledge. The location where the man landed was above another large drop-off.
The man lost his phone in the fall and was unable to call for help. Officials said he was on the ledge for five hours before a group of homeless individuals heard him yelling and called 911 emergency dispatchers.
The Heavy Rescue Team was called out to help the man off the ledge, and were able to get to him after determining the safest way to reach him.
“We were able to find a solid tree and some rocks to hook up to, and we lowered rescuers down to him,” said Chief Bednarik. “He couldn’t move. He was stranded on that ledge with injuries to his legs and pelvis.”
Luckily, the hiker was conscious and stable during the rescue.
Officials said the 29-year-old started the hike with a flashlight and cell phone. Responders reminded those venturing out to also bring warm clothes.
“As a reminder, we hope people will always let someone know where they are going, when they hike, and what time they plan to return – that way authorities will be alerted if they don’t return,” said the Chief.
The hiker’s identity was not released.
This morning SLC Fire’s Heavy Rescue Team rescued a 29 yr. old male hiking in the area that fell more than 100 feet landing on a cliff ledge. He sustained injuries to his pelvis and leg. After losing his phone he was stuck on the mountain for over 5 hours before 911 was called. pic.twitter.com/22xG2ExzAI
— Salt Lake City Fire Department (@slcfire) December 27, 2020
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)