Safe In 60: Do You Know Utah’s Move Over Law?
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The road shoulder can be a dangerous place to work. Each year troopers face many close calls, receive injuries or even get killed while helping stranded motorists, handling crashes or performing traffic stops.
That is why there is a law to keep them safe while they work to keep us safe.
Do you know what to do if you see emergency vehicles stopped on the side of the road? The “Move Over” law has been active in all 50 states since 2002, and it’s intended to save lives. Unfortunately, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, only about 30% of Americans are aware of this law.
The Move Over law states drivers approaching stationary emergency vehicles, highway maintenance vehicles or towing vehicles with flashing lights need to slow down and move over a lane if possible.
If you approach emergency or service vehicles stopped on the roadway with flashing lights, here’s exactly what to do:
- Slow down as soon as you see the flashing emergency lights, but do not brake suddenly. If the road is wet or icy, you could slide out of control.
- Move over if you can safely do so. If you cannot move over a whole lane, don’t panic. Keep your speed slow and move over as much as you can.
- Look where you want to go. You may be curious, but don’t focus on the vehicles or emergency lights on the shoulder. This can cause you to veer toward where you are looking. Keep your focus on the road and path you want to follow ahead of you.
Injuries on the freeway to our emergency and maintenance workers are preventable. Please slow down and give them some room.
Here is a link to the entire Utah code: Utah Code Section 41-6a-904
- Rare Wolverine Sighting Reported At Antelope Island State Park (pageviews: 8369)
- Utah’s Health Orders Terminated After Meeting ‘Endgame Bill’ Criteria – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4524)
- Salt Lake City Homeowners Set Trap, Catch Thief On Camera – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4477)
- Utah's Health Orders Terminated After Meeting 'Endgame Bill' Criteria (pageviews: 4471)
- Woman Released From Hospital After Surviving 5 Months In The Wild (pageviews: 4073)
- Salt Lake City Homeowners Set Trap, Catch Thief On Camera (pageviews: 3888)
- Jurassic Quest Brings Life-Size Dino Exhibit To Utah (pageviews: 2812)
- Utah Brothers Volunteer For Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Trial In Children (pageviews: 2468)
- Venmo Scams: Protecting Yourself From Fraudsters (pageviews: 2233)