Gov. Cox Signs 1st Executive Order Reviewing Occupational Licenses
FILLMORE, Utah – Gov. Spencer Cox and Lt. Gov. Deidre Henderson signed their first executive order reviewing occupational licenses in front of the Territorial Statehouse in Fillmore Monday.
The order requires state agencies to review all occupational licenses to ensure they are truly necessary and are not outdated or incomplete.
Cox noted an example from 2011 where a woman sued the state over the requirement to get a license to braid hair. The court sided with the woman in 2012.
“Government regulation is often necessary to protect people, but sometimes requirements end up hurting people who are trying to enter an industry or profession,” Cox said. “We now have an opportunity to take a fresh look at our licensing requirements to make sure that we don’t have more rules than are necessary and that the rules we have continue to make sense.”
The review must be finished by June 30.
With the inauguration over, @DeidreHenderson and I stopped at the Territorial Statehouse in Fillmore and signed our first executive order. And I got to fire a cannon. Now on to Fairview. #OneUtah #LetsGo pic.twitter.com/fXk5RiThLN
— Utah Gov. Spencer J. Cox (@GovCox) January 4, 2021
“It’s very important to remove barriers to entry in all aspects of Utah life,” Henderson said.
Cox and Henderson also signed a symbolic copy of the Utah Compact on Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, which was introduced by former Gov. Gary Herbert on Dec. 22, 2020.
The ceremony included the firing of a cannon, which takes place every Jan. 4 at the Territorial Statehouse. Cox and Henderson then passed through their hometowns of Fairview and Spanish Fork before traveling to the Utah State Capitol.
— KSL 5 TV (@KSL5TV) January 5, 2021
- Police Release New Details Related To Alex Cox's Death In Vallow/Daybell Case (pageviews: 16124)
- Several Businesses Damaged In 3-Alarm Fire At Midvale Office Building (pageviews: 3435)
- Car Thief Returns With Boy Inside, Scolds Mom (pageviews: 3203)
- ICU Beds In Utah's Referral Centers Are Now 101% Occupied (pageviews: 2908)
- Detectives Locate Body Of Missing Wasatch County Man (pageviews: 2163)
- Police Release New Details Related To Alex Cox’s Death In Vallow/Daybell Case – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2100)
- Trump To Issue Around 100 Pardons, Commutations Tuesday, Sources Say (pageviews: 1870)
- Crews Respond To 3-Alarm Fire At Business Complex In Midvale (pageviews: 1577)
- Detectives Locate Body Of Missing Wasatch County Man – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 1575)