Billboards Thank Romney, Curtis For Response To Capitol Violence
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A Utah-based group is behind new billboards across the state, thanking two delegates who strongly condemned the riots at the U.S. Capitol and accused President Donald Trump of inciting it.
The signs of gratitude for the “courage and integrity” of Sen. Mitt Romney and Rep. John Curtis were a change of pace from the way the week started.
Supporters of President Trump confronted Romney at the Salt Lake City International Airport, questioning his lack of support for the president. His flight to Washington, D.C. included a chorus of passengers shouting “traitor” at him.
.@SenMikeLee responded today after videos began circulating of people confronting @SenatorRomney at the airport and on a plane, with a group of passengers chanting "Traitor" during a flight: "Let’s all treat each other with respect and decency." https://t.co/maixBq7Oql #KSLTV
— KSL 5 TV (@KSL5TV) January 6, 2021
But that was only a small portion of the opposition lawmakers would face at the U.S. Capitol as they met to accept the states’ election results.
Each of Utah’s delegates who were present during the riot Wednesday has condemned the violence. But just two of their responses stood out to Mormon Women for Ethical Government, a nonpartisan group who has condemned Trump’s actions throughout his presidency and recently called for him to be removed from office.
“We were really proud of the way that Romney and Curtis especially responded with their strong statements, condemning the violence,” said Melarie Wheat, a Utah Chapter co-lead for MWEG.
Wheat said they posted the idea of billboards for Romney and Curtis online, and within six hours they had raised enough money to put up the signs for weeks.
- Cataract Canyon Without Lake Powell: A Monumental Legacy Of Dried Mud (pageviews: 7059)
- Man Beaten, Killed By Multiple People In Magna (pageviews: 5468)
- Man Dies From Injuries Sustained In Tooele County Crash (pageviews: 2758)
- Two Men Injured In Jet Ski Collision At Pineview Reservoir (pageviews: 2553)
- Man Killed In Overnight SLC Shooting (pageviews: 2501)
- Police Searching For West Jordan Road Rage Participant (pageviews: 1783)
- Sisters Run Lemonade Stand In West Jordan In Honor Of Their Older Sister (pageviews: 1624)
- Committee Votes In Favor Of New Name For Dixie State University (pageviews: 1521)
- One Dead After Car Vs. Dump Truck Crash In Logan (pageviews: 1359)