Suspected DUI Driver Accused Of Causing Multiple Crashes On I-15
SANDY, Utah — Multiple crashes along I-15 in Salt Lake County were caused by a single reckless driver, according to UHP Cpl. Andy Battenfield.
The incidents caused major delays on the freeway Saturday night.
SB I-15 at MP 295 (9500 S) Salt Lake Co.
Left Lane Closed
Center Lanes Closed
Est. Clearance Time: 8:58 PM
For updates: https://t.co/jaVMw7vcLm
— UDOT Traffic (@UDOTTRAFFIC) January 10, 2021
Battenfield said “as many as six” vehicles were hit.
Officials were notified of the first crash involving a white F350 Fork pickup truck around 7:38 p.m. Dispatch was told it was a hit and run that occurred in the area of 8900 South on northbound I-15.
More witnesses called in to report the Ford Pickup was driving recklessly, eventually exiting at 3300 South.
“A UHP Trooper encountered the pickup at 3300 South where three additional vehicles were hit by the Ford pickup. The Ford pickup turned around and continued South on I-15 where two additional cars were hit between 9000 South and 10600 South,” read a press release from the Utah Department of Public Safety.
After sustaining a flat tire, the driver got out and attempted to leave, but troopers apprehended him on the 10600 South off ramp.
The 18-year-old male driver, whose identity has not been released, was taken into custody Saturday night.
“He was arrested on suspicion of DUI and multiple additional moving violations,” read the release.
Two people were transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
One police car also sustained minor damage.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 3523)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 3509)
- Body found in Jordan River, police investigating (pageviews: 3503)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 3387)
- Wednesday's Child: Creative 13-year-old Kaydee hopes to find forever family (pageviews: 2864)
- Sewage provides alternative insight into COVID-19 surge direction (pageviews: 2841)