Eastbound I-80 Closed In Tooele County Following Fatal Crash
KNOLLS, Utah — Two people died while another was seriously injured in a head-on crash on eastbound I-80 in Tooele County.
The crash occurred around 5 p.m. Sunday, according to the Utah Department of Public Safety.
Officials said a Buick Enclave was traveling west in the eastbound lanes when it struck a Tesla passenger car head-on.
Shortly after impact, the two vehicles caught fire.
Eastbound traffic on I-80 is stopped at milepost 54. Troopers are on scene of a two car head-on with two fatalities one additional person seriously injured. Expect long delays through the night, as the investigation may take awhile. Additional details to follow on DPS News. pic.twitter.com/Vhuvgr92cf
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) January 11, 2021
Both drivers died on scene.
A passenger in the Tesla was pulled from the car and flown to a Salt Lake City hospital in serious condition with compound fractures to both legs.
No one else was involved in the crash.
Officials said the eastbound lanes of traffic were still closed as of 9:30 p.m. so UHP officers could investigate.
The Utah Department of Transportation said traffic is being diverted through the Grassy Mountain Rest Area.
— UDOT Traffic (@UDOTTRAFFIC) January 11, 2021
The drivers’ identities have not been released.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9267)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 8058)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6022)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3183)
- One person dead after shooting at Salt Lake City apartment complex (pageviews: 2423)