UHP Preparing For Protests Planned At State Capitol, Anticipates They Will Be Peaceful
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah Highway Patrol troopers have canceled a trip to help law enforcement at President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration to increase staffing at the Utah State Capitol.
“We are needed in our own state,” said UHP Lt. Nick Street.
Street was referring to organized armed protests scheduled to happen leading up to the presidential inauguration on Jan. 20.
The FBI came out with a report Monday saying armed protests are scheduled at all 50 states, including Utah, within this time frame.
A @FBI report shows there are Capitol protests planned in the next few weeks across the country— including in Utah. @UTHighwayPatrol says permits for peaceful protests have been requested. They’re fully prepared to keep these protests PEACEFUL. No violence tolerated. pic.twitter.com/I3IKdwhZGf
— Morgan Wolfe (@MorganWolfeKSL) January 12, 2021
“We have since pulled those troopers back,” Street said.
Peaceful protest permits have been requested for the Utah State Capitol during this period, which includes the inauguration, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the start of the 2021 state legislative session and the State of the Union address.
“You will see an increase in staffing at the state capitol, partly because of the legislative session,” Street said.
Street said they already planned for buffing up their security efforts, but now are making more plans in case protests turn violent.
“The right to peacefully assemble, right to bear arms, the right to have freedom of speech and freedom of the press will all be present at these protests,” Street said. “We are going to protect everyone,” Street said.
- Utah Man Fights For His Life In Nepal While Family Tries To Get Help – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 32376)
- Utah Man Fights For His Life In Nepal While Family Tries To Get Help (pageviews: 25908)
- Utah Dinosaur Graveyard Indicates T-Rex Was Social Predator (pageviews: 11993)
- Utah Teen Paralyzed From Waist Down After Dirt Bike Incident (pageviews: 6602)
- Homebuyers Warned To Watch For Details In Building Contracts (pageviews: 3872)
- Utah Man Believes He May Have Found Tomb Commissioned For Joseph Smith (pageviews: 3828)
- One Killed In Crash Involving Street Racing (pageviews: 3766)
- Man Found Dead After 4-Wheeler Went Off Steep Embankment (pageviews: 3228)
- Utah Dinosaur Graveyard Indicates T-Rex Was Social Predator – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3048)