CDC To Require Negative COVID Tests For International Travelers
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Amid the highest surge in COVID-19 cases the U.S. has seen, officials with the Centers for Disease Control announced international travelers will be required to receive a negative COVID-19 test three days before traveling to the U.S.
And while the requirement could impact international visitors coming to Salt Lake City International Airport, local travel experts hope an anticipated increase in domestic travelers will overcome the shortfall.
“It’s nothing out of the ordinary,” Columbus Travel CEO Larry Gelwix said. “I think we will initially have an impact. I think the greatest impact on our ski resorts is mother nature. I anticipate a significant increase in domestic visitors and a significant decrease in international visitors.”
Utah has world-renowned ski resorts that entertain international travelers.
How will the travel news from the @CDCgov impact our tourism industry? A local travel expert weighs in!
— Morgan Wolfe (@MorganWolfeKSL) January 13, 2021
Gelwix pointed out that many countries already require a negative COVID-19 test requirement — and states like Alaska and Hawaii require a negative test for domestic flights. Some of these travel rules do accept the at-home COVID-19 tests.
“My insurance covered mine when I went to Hawaii,” Gelwix said.
Hawaii is one of 18 states that have COVID testing available in their airports too.
Utah will be joining that list soon according to airport spokesperson Nancy Vollmer.
No details on the testing center were available Tuesday, but Vollmer said something will be announced shortly.
“The whole world of COVID is evolving,” Gelwix said.
States With Airport COVID-19 Testing
- California (4 – SF, Oakland, LAX and San Diego)
- Florida (Fort Lauderdale and Tampa)
- Illinois (Chicago has two)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Texas (DFW)
- Post Malone Is Donating 10K Of His Sold Out Crocs To Frontline Workers (pageviews: 7378)
- Morgan Restaurant Set To Close After 40 Years In The Community (pageviews: 6067)
- Police Release New Details Related To Alex Cox's Death In Vallow/Daybell Case (pageviews: 5860)
- Lindon Man Dies Following Incident At Quail Creek State Park (pageviews: 4657)
- Detectives Locate Body Of Missing Wasatch County Man (pageviews: 4614)
- Orem Unveils Utah's Biggest Pedestrian Bridge (pageviews: 2896)
- Orem Unveils Utah’s Biggest Pedestrian Bridge – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2889)
- 3-Year-Old Boy Hospitalized After Being Hit By Truck In Eagle Mountain (pageviews: 2868)
- 'UK Variant' Of COVID-19 Found In Utah, Officials Say (pageviews: 2482)