Orem Unveils Utah’s Biggest Pedestrian Bridge
OREM, Utah – Utah’s biggest pedestrian bridge was unveiled on Thursday.
The bridge, which connects Utah Valley University with the Utah FrontRunner Orem Central Station, is the length of more than three football fields.
“The bridge is a one-of-a-kind triumph,” said Val Peterson, UVU vice president of finance and administration, in a statement. “It’s construction began with a question: ‘How can we safely connect pedestrians on one side of our campus with the other?’ And the larger question of how to more easily connect the community with UVU. I believe we have done just that.”
The structure is made up of 15,000 square feet of heated concrete, which will melt snow and ice in the winter, as well as a full-coverage roof. It’s lined with 125 lights and 18 security cameras.
It’s expected to average more than 5,000 users a day.
“It’s not often you see a bridge of this size built just for pedestrians and bicyclists,” said Teri Newell, deputy director for the Utah Department of Transportation. “At UDOT our goal is to provide diverse choices for how and when you travel. This kind of investment in active transportation is another example of how UDOT is focused on keeping people moving.”
The bridge is in its final stages of completion, and it’s expected to be open for use in early February.
- Eagle Mountain Man Facing Charge For Grocery Store Incident Involving Teen Girls (pageviews: 4882)
- Utah Man Recovering After Being Attacked Near Downtown SLC (pageviews: 2698)
- Prince Philip, Husband Of Queen Elizabeth II, Dies Aged 99 (pageviews: 2617)
- Are Californians To Blame For Utah’s Surging Home Prices? (pageviews: 2556)
- State Officials Issue New Public Health Order (pageviews: 1838)
- If You're 50 Or Older: 5 Things To Know After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 1705)
- Biden Tightens Some Gun Controls, Says Much More Needed (pageviews: 1471)
- Biden Making New Moves On Guns, Including Naming ATF Boss (pageviews: 1464)
- Mayor Erin Mendenhall Updates SLC Mask Order (pageviews: 1203)