Postal Service Collection Boxes Removed In Advance Of Protests
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – As Utah and the rest of the country brace for potential protests over the weekend, the U.S. Postal Service announced the early closure of one post office and the temporary removal of several collection boxes in Salt Lake City.
A news release said the Downtown Salt Lake City Post Office at 230 West and 200 South Lobby will close at noon Saturday.
The USPS’ blue collection boxes in the downtown area will be temporarily removed to protect postal property, employees and the public, officials said.
The boxes to be removed are located at:
- 8 West 100 South 84101
- 50 West 200 South 84101
- 4 South Main Street 84101
Collection box locations can be found online.
The Postal Service precautions are inline with the rest of the country. The FBI warned of planned protests at all 50 state capitols and in Washington, D.C. leading up to next week’s inauguration for President-elect Joe Biden.
The FBI warning followed last week’s deadly insurgence at the U.S. Capitol.
Gov. Spencer Cox declared a state of emergency Thursday. The order runs through Jan. 21.
Utah Gov. @SpencerJCox has declared a state of emergency ahead of potential protests.
“We respect the right of Utah residents to peaceably assemble as guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution. But we draw the line at threats to physical safety or to the Utah Capitol building." pic.twitter.com/gNmpZmP2AC
— Utah Gov. Spencer J. Cox (@GovCox) January 15, 2021
“The governor has asked the Utah National Guard, Utah Highway Patrol and various area police departments to stand ready to ensure the safety of lives and property at Utah’s Capitol,” officials said.
“No violence of any kind will be tolerated,” Cox said.
Meanwhile, crews were busy boarding up government buildings in downtown SLC.
A representative for SLC Mayor Erin Mendenhall’s office said that the city’s efforts are “out of an abundance of caution.”
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9267)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 8058)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6022)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3183)
- One person dead after shooting at Salt Lake City apartment complex (pageviews: 2423)