Utahn Warning Campers After Coyote Trap Injures Dog
DELTA, Utah – A Utah man is warning hikers and campers to beware of coyote traps after his dog got stuck in a trap that was placed very close to a popular camping area.
It happened at a recreation area called the Amasa Valley, about 50 miles southwest of Delta.
It could happen anywhere in Utah because coyote traps are legal and there are no restrictions on where they can be placed.
Will Jeppson and his dog, Inko, found that out the hard way.
Jeppson and his friends were at their campsite and Inko was off exploring when they heard the dog in distress.
“She had her foot caught in a foot trap, one of the metal hoop ones, for coyotes, and she was, screaming is not the right word, but the dog equivalent of it. She was in a lot of, I don’t know if I would say pain, but she was very scared,” said Jeppson. “She was trying to get away from it, she couldn’t get away. She thought she was fighting for her life and it was kind of a disturbing image.”
Jeppson pried the coyote trap off of Inko’s foot, but the dog had already tried biting it off, severely damaging her teeth
“I was kind of in shock from it a little bit I’d say,” Jeppson said.
Officials with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources said foot traps for coyotes are legal and they’re not designed to hurt an animal. But in this case, one did.
DWR officials said trappers are encouraged to use good judgment and not place traps near trails, roads or buildings.
Jeppson said the trap that injured Inko was about 50 feet from the road.
“I definitely was angry at the whole thing. I was upset that someone had decided that that close to a campsite was a good place to put a trap,” said Jeppson.
He wanted to make people aware of coyote traps and asked trappers to place the traps farther away from the area, so they don’t catch the wrong kind of animal.
“I just want people to be responsible and considerate of others out there,” said Jeppson.
DWR officials said they have talked about restricting where coyote traps can be placed, but they don’t want to limit ranchers or homeowners from keeping coyotes and raccoons off their property.
Inko will visit a canine dental specialist on Wednesday to see what can be done about her broken teeth.
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5440)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 5179)
- Two dead after crashing into parked truck (pageviews: 5085)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidentally falling from balcony (pageviews: 2760)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidently falling from balcony (pageviews: 2591)
- Avalanche triggered at Snowbird resort, no injuries reported - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2230)