Man Paid To Haul Junk Cited For Illegal Dumping In Utah County
EAGLE MOUNTAIN, Utah – Deputies were called out to investigate how a truckload of personal information and garbage ended up piled in a field.
Officials with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office said they found a man from the area was hired to a job that didn’t go as planned.
Sgt. Spencer Cannon said they received calls from residents who hired a man to come haul junk from their home to the dump. The items didn’t make it to the dump.
They were found illegally dumped in the Eagle Mountain field.
Investigators said someone found the garbage, which included the name and address on an item belonging to one of the people who hired the man.
Cannon said when deputies initially contacted the man, he insisted he took the items to the dump.
“His story was, he insisted he took it to the dump, and someone picked it up and brought it here,” he said. “We made it clear from the beginning we didn’t believe that. If you stop and think about it, that makes zero sense.”
Investigators said the man later confessed to illegally dumping the trash, and eventually cleaned it up.
He told them he didn’t have money to pay for the dump fee. Cannon said people can’t just dump loads of garbage anywhere. It is illegal.
Deputies cites the man for illegal dumping and theft of services.
Cannon said if people plan to advertise services as a business or to make money, make sure you follow the rules.
“He advertised himself as a business and he conducted this business as a business, but didn’t follow through,” he said. “(I) don’t know if he had a business license… When you’re hiring yourself out, it’s a business and you have to do it the right way.”
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 8768)
- Get Gephardt: Husband sued for deceased wife’s unpaid medical bill - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6320)
- Judge calls Orem mayor 'lynchpin' in fraud case, orders him and son to pay $1M (pageviews: 5012)
- NB I-15 reopens following crash, massive oil spill in Draper - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4958)
- NB I-15 closed in Draper following multi-car crash, oil spill (pageviews: 4861)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4639)