UDOT Vehicle Hit By Avalanche In Little Cottonwood Canyon
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A Utah Department of Transportation vehicle working on avalanche control in Little Cottonwood Canyon was hit by a natural slide Wednesday morning.
The two people who were in the vehicle were not harmed.
Today, two members of our Cottonwood Canyons team were staged in Little Cottonwood Canyon to assist with avalanche control. As they prepared to exit the UDOT utility truck for the snowcat, both vehicles were hit by a natural slide. We are grateful both team members are safe. pic.twitter.com/AGqx31WVsm
— John Gleason (@johnegleason) February 17, 2021
According to UDOT spokesperson John Gleason, a team was staged in the canyon to assist with avalanche mitigation. As they were preparing to exit the UDOT utility truck for a nearby snowcat, both vehicles were struck by a natural slide.
“Fortunately everyone got out and is in good shape,” Gleason wrote in an email to KSL. “It sounds like slides are happening pretty frequently up Little Cottonwood – about the most extreme slide risk you can imagine.”
— UDOT Cottonwood Canyons (@UDOTcottonwoods) February 17, 2021
Portions of state Route 210 have been closed in Little Cottonwood Canyon since Monday, and crews have been working around the clock on avalanche control. The road remained closed Wednesday.
On Tuesday, UDOT recorded video of a natural avalanche barely missing one of its vehicles.
- BYU 'Y' Lit In Rainbow Colors As Message Of Hope Without School Approval (pageviews: 5256)
- Salt Lake, Davis Counties Move To Moderate Transmission; Some Restrictions Lifted (pageviews: 4612)
- Gov. Cox: Beginning March 8, Utahns Age 50+ Can Schedule Vaccinations (pageviews: 4216)
- DNA Test Surprise: Woman's Dad Was A Mass Murderer (pageviews: 4022)
- Coin With DNA Found At Site Where Elizabeth Salgado's Remains Were Found (pageviews: 3885)
- SUV In Crash Where 13 Died Came Through Hole In Border Fence (pageviews: 3509)
- Latter-day Saint Missionary Dies Serving In Home Country Of El Salvador (pageviews: 2173)
- DA Determines Officer's Use Of Deadly Force In SLC Incident Not Justified (pageviews: 2127)
- Utahns Age 50+ Eligible For Shots While 'Vaccine Chasers' Continue To Wait (pageviews: 2041)