Wellness Class Anything But Routine For Utahn Turning 108
SPANISH FORK, Utah — Born well before the Spanish Flu pandemic, she has managed to stay in shape through the COVID-19 pandemic — even after breaking a hip at the age of 100.
Scotty Tapper has lived to see a lot in her life, but what she didn’t see coming was what unfolded Monday during a Wellness Bridge Group (https://www.wellnessbridgegroup.com/) class at the Sports Performance Academy.
In the middle of stretches and exercises, four generations of Tapper’s family came in through the back door— cake and balloons in hand and accompanied by guitar — to wish the woman a happy 108th birthday.
“She does better with a surprise than knowing,” said daughter Linda Spencer. “If she knows it’s going to happen, she’ll say ‘No, don’t do it.’”
Tapper, who resides at Legacy House of Spanish Fork (https://legacyspanishfork.com/), was obviously pleased with the unexpected birthday wish.
“I don’t have much to say,” Tapper smiled. “I really appreciate it and it’s really surprised me!”
Spencer said her mother remained very sharp and physically active in recent years, despite breaking her hip when she was 100.
“She’s really aware of what’s going on and participates — that’s why she enjoys life,” Spencer said. “I think it’s really amazing but I’ve had my mom and our grandkids and all the kids have had her around so much, we don’t really think it’s that old.”
Surprising Tapper at the gym meant a lot to all involved, especially in light of precautions and restrictions that have been in place related to COVID-19.
“None of the other children have been able to visit with her for a whole year!” Spencer said. “It was really special for her.”
Tapper has three children, six grandchildren, 17 great grandchildren and 21 great, great grandchildren.
“They keep on multiplying, don’t they!” she laughed.
She was grateful for the time with her family and friends.
“I sure didn’t know anything about it,” Tapper said. “I appreciate it!”
- Gephardt: Tracking Down $130K That Vanished After Bank Closes Woman’s Savings Account (pageviews: 23092)
- Community Rallies To Support Young Street Corner Entrepreneur (pageviews: 6782)
- New Utah Law Keeps Convicted Murderer From Parole Unless Body Found (pageviews: 4561)
- Rollover Crash In Carbon County Kills 1, Injures Multiple Others (pageviews: 3424)
- 7,200 Utahns Schedule To Receive COVID-19 Vaccine In Error (pageviews: 3240)
- Utah DWR Looking For Driver Who Allegedly Sped Up To Hit, Kill Deer (pageviews: 3164)
- Gephardt: Tracking Down $130K That Vanished After Bank Closes Woman’s Savings Account (pageviews: 3154)
- 22 More COVID Deaths Reported In Utah; Over 700K Vaccines Administered (pageviews: 2691)
- Man Dies In Rollover Crash Near Delta (pageviews: 2123)