Plan To Make Dads Pay Half Of Pregnancy Costs Passes
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah lawmakers have passed a plan to make biological fathers responsible for half the medical costs of pregnancy.
The bill that would have men share the monetary costs not covered by insurance must be signed by Republican Utah Gov. Spencer Cox, the Deseret News reported.
Its sponsor, Republican Rep. Brady Brammer, has said the idea could mean fewer women seek abortions.
It would only apply to men whose paternity could be verified.
Democratic House Minority Leader Brian King has expressed concern that it could cause biological fathers to pressure mothers into riskier, less expensive medical care.
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 31424)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 20372)
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil (pageviews: 6785)
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6168)
- Winter storm leads to messy morning commute; schools moving online, delaying starts - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5857)
- Lehi mom stranded in snowstorm grateful for help from unexpected stranger - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4471)