Black Rock Desert Volcanic Activity Grabs Attention Of Researchers
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The smooth hills and fields of the Black Rock Desert near Fillmore became a place for scientists to monitor more closely following earthquakes in the area in 2018 and 2019.
Equipment from the Utah Regional Seismic Network and other monitoring stations gave scientists a closer look at the volcanic system at the Black Rock Desert, the release said.
Ever wondered about possible volcanic activity in Utah?
In recently published research, Maria Mesimeri (@QuakeMary) discusses two unusual earthquakes and why they may be related to the Black Rock Desert volcanic field.
Check it out: https://t.co/pfk0zwOvta
— UUSS (@UUSSquake) February 23, 2021
Maria Mesimeri, a postdoctoral research associate with the University of Utah recently released a study that detailed her findings after analyzing the data from Black Rock Desert earthquakes.
“The results showed us that we should give more attention to the Black Rock area,” said Mesimeri. “We need to improve seismic and volcanic monitoring in this area so that we are aware of small changes that may occur.”
Mesimeri said their findings indicate the area is still active due to the underground movement of magma or heated water.
The researchers said there is no evidence of any imminent eruption although the area is still active.
- Woman, Children Terrorized In Road Rage Incident On I-15 (pageviews: 18183)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 11001)
- Customer Threatens To Shoot Up Salt Lake City Store Over Mask Requirement (pageviews: 8508)
- 37 Juveniles Arrested At Corner Canyon High School (pageviews: 5475)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3933)
- Two Deputies Injured, Suspect Killed In Shooting At Salt Lake County Jail (pageviews: 3870)
- Las Vegas Pushes To Become First To Ban Ornamental Grass (pageviews: 3696)
- If You're 50 Or Older: 5 Things To Know After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 3024)
- Are Californians To Blame For Utah’s Surging Home Prices? (pageviews: 2401)