DWR Poacher-Reporting App Available For Download
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources just made it easier for citizens to report poachers to authorities with the release of a new app.
A news release said it has already paid off in the battle against poaching.
We now have another tool in our toolbox to help in the fight against #poaching: the UTDWR app. The app allows people to report wildlife crimes quickly, anonymously and easily in a text message format. 🎉 #Utah
— UtahDWR (@UtahDWR) March 4, 2021
“Two buck deer were poached recently in Millard County,” said Captain Wyatt Bubak with the DWR. “We got word out through our social media channels and a news release. It didn’t take long before two solid tips came in via the new app. Those tips have been very helpful in moving the case forward.”
The release said anyone reporting an incident via the app will remain anonymous if they choose. The developers actually scrub the message of all identifying information, which includes the IP address.
Still, DWR officials recommended people include information on how officers can follow up on a tip.
“It isn’t required, but we do encourage people to share their name and a way to contact them,” Bubak said. “Many of our cases take weeks, months or even years to investigate. By providing some contact information, we’re able to follow up with you in case we need more information.”
Officers will work to keep shared personal information confidential.
The release said the DWR Turn-in-a-Poacher hotline is still the quickest way to report a crime in progress. The number is 1-800-662-3337.
- Woman, Children Terrorized In Road Rage Incident On I-15 (pageviews: 18183)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 11001)
- Customer Threatens To Shoot Up Salt Lake City Store Over Mask Requirement (pageviews: 8508)
- 37 Juveniles Arrested At Corner Canyon High School (pageviews: 5475)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3933)
- Two Deputies Injured, Suspect Killed In Shooting At Salt Lake County Jail (pageviews: 3870)
- Las Vegas Pushes To Become First To Ban Ornamental Grass (pageviews: 3696)
- If You're 50 Or Older: 5 Things To Know After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 3024)
- Are Californians To Blame For Utah’s Surging Home Prices? (pageviews: 2401)