Severely Burned Dog Remains In Critical Condition, Kidneys Failing
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Dixie the dog that was intentionally set on fire earlier in the week remains in critical condition with extensive second and third-degree burns over most of her body and is now suffering from kidney failure.
A Facebook post by Dixie’s owner, Trista Heywood elaborated, “Her kidneys are in failure right now and her levels aren’t decreasing, they are worried about the third-degree burns turning into an infection and causing it to go to her bloodstream. We do have the option to put her on dialysis to see if that will help improve her kidneys, unfortunately, the cost is very substantial and something we can’t afford.”
Michael Paul Busico, 40, was booked into the Tooele County Jail early Tuesday morning for investigation of torturing an animal and arson.
“The Animal Control Officers and staff are devastated by what happened to Dixie,” said Callista Pearson, Salt Lake County Animal Services Communications Manager. “No pet should suffer at the hands of a human. Throughout the years, our Animal Control Officers and Clinic Staff, have seen mistreated and abused animals but this was not only horrific, but it was also an intentional attack against a companion animal.”
Heywood’s post indicated Dixie has a very long road to recovery. “If she does make it through all of this Dixie will lose both ears, her eyelids will need surgery/ reconstruction and if the surgery doesn’t go well they might have to remove both eyes. If the skin under the third-degree burns on her abdomen isn’t good skin they will have to do a skin graft.
Heywood also posted, “Hoping and praying that she will pull through all this, Dixie will never be the same they said if she does pull through she will likely only be 60-80% of what she use to be, but that is a long shot.”
Heywood set up a gofundme* account to pay for Dixie’s treatment. Donors had already pushed the fund halfway to the $5,000 goal.
County Animal Services also collected donations to pay for Dixie’s care. That money was forwarded to the animal hospital that is treating her.
*KSL-TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- If You're 50 Or Older: 5 Things To Know After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 3947)
- Former Minnesota Cop Charged In Shooting Of Black Motorist (pageviews: 3048)
- 8 People Killed In Shooting At A FedEx Facility In Indianapolis, Police Say (pageviews: 2770)
- Princes William, Harry Won't Walk Side-By-Side At Funeral (pageviews: 1316)
- Raising Cane’s To Open South Jordan Restaurant June 8, Provo Location Later This Summer (pageviews: 1224)
- New Video Shows Suspect Pepper-Spray Utah Highway Patrol Trooper (pageviews: 1171)
- Venmo Scams: Protecting Yourself From Fraudsters – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 951)
- Judge Refuses Request To Acquit Chauvin In Floyd's Death (pageviews: 898)
- How Does An Officer Grab A Taser Over A Gun? (pageviews: 817)