Dozens Rally Against KOZO House Apartments In SLC
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Dozens of residents rallied in Salt Lake City to protest a new luxury apartment complex in the downtown area that would displace at least seven high-risk families.
On Saturday, protestors said developments like the KOZO House Apartments target the most vulnerable community members, leaving them without a home or affordable options.
The project will demolish seven single-family homes in order to make space for a 312-unit building located on the block of 175 North and 600 West.
The evicted families were renters who said they were given no say in the matter, and with sky-rocketing costs of housing, many of them were at risk of becoming homeless, not to mention, forced to leave the only community they knew.
“I am tired of hiding there crying. I’m tired of not knowing what to do,” said Tina Holt-Balderrama. “My best hope today is to get some of these families helped. I want some help. I want somebody that doesn’t just say I know about this project. I want somebody to put their foot down and do something about this project.”
Residents said moving into the new apartment complex once it’s built was an unaffordable and unrealistic option as those making less than $56,000 a year would not qualify.
The project was tabled or put on hold last October, and it looks like it’s undergoing a design review with the planning commission.
Rally happening in a Rose Park neighborhood where residents say planned luxury apartments means some families are being forced to move. One woman says she has nowhere else to go. We’re working on a story for @KSL5TV. pic.twitter.com/CJ2miZ6LrI
— Alex Cabrero (@KSL_AlexCabrero) March 6, 2021
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 12259)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7066)
- Utah deputies identify suspect in 1972 murder, rape case; still looking for second suspect (pageviews: 6499)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 5989)
- Utahn charged with assault after allegedly holding blade to woman's throat on flight (pageviews: 5264)
- Utah man buys humidifier found with five packages of cocaine in it (pageviews: 5001)
- Two injured in I-80 crash; several crashes reported as Thanksgiving travel picks up (pageviews: 4528)