Children Credited For Sounding The Alarm When SLC Garage Caught Fire

Mar 6, 2021, 11:16 PM | Updated: Jan 4, 2023, 11:52 am

SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City neighborhood celebrated a group of boys whose quick action saved a neighbor’s home from catching fire.

The neighborhood on Oneida Street and 2100 South is a close-knit community. On Saturday, residents said they were extra grateful for the group of boys that decided to go outside for a game.

“We were going to play video games, but then we decided to play outside,” said Jack Marsh.

Jack and his friends went out to play laser tag around 7:30 p.m. Friday. It ended up being a game they will never forget.

“I just remember smelling smoke and fire and (thought) who’s doing a BBQ right now?” Jack said.

The boys quickly realized something was off.

“The smell was like burnt rubber,” said Severin Gerhardt.

“I saw like a kind of glowing fire thing in the Kneaderhouse’s garage,” Jack said.

The neighbor’s car was on fire and the flames were quickly spreading inside the garage.

“I ran into the house and told my sister to call 911,” he said.

“It blew up! It basically just absorbed the entire garage!” said Jack’s sister, Maya Marsh.

The boys quickly jumped into action.

“I went inside and ran really fast and got my dad and the fire extinguisher and quickly ran over there,” said Jacob Gerhardt.

“Our dad then went in to actually try to extinguish the fire,” said Severin. “He immediately runs back out when he hears a boom.”

“The entire neighborhood was red from all the light from the fire,” said Maya. “Six fire trucks came!”

Firefighters arrived just in time to contain the flames before anyone was injured at Steve Niederhauser’s home.

“It would’ve burned probably another 15-20 minutes before anyone spotted it,” he said.

Steve said he was grateful the little giants decided to play outside.

“They certainly saved the day for us,” Niederhauser said.

The boys said they were just at the right place at the right time.

“It was good, but at the same time, ahhhh!” said Laurenz Gerhardt.

Officials said it appears the fire started in the car’s engine, even though it was off, adding that it was likely due to a brake fluid leak.

The homeowner said they would be contacting the manufacture.

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birth home, which is operated by the National Park Service. (David Gol...

Dave Alsup and Aya Elamroussi

Good Samaritans saved Martin Luther King Jr.’s birth home in Atlanta from being burned to the ground, officials say

Two Utah tourists helped foil an attempt to set the birth home of Martin Luther King Jr. on fire.

1 hour ago

Carfax found that roughly 2.1 million vehicles in Utah have rolled back odometers. (KSL TV)...

Matt Gephardt

Odometer fraud is making a comeback and could cost car buyers thousands of dollars

Con artists selling used cars have a new way of rolling back an odometer, making it significantly cheaper and quicker for them to achieve. On average, someone who buys a car with a rolled back odometer loses about $4,000.

11 hours ago

WII veteran Ed Carroll at Pearl Harbor. (Courtesy: Ed Carroll)...

Erin Cox and Michael Houck, KSL TV

Utah veteran honored for service at Pearl Harbor 82 years ago

A Utah WII veteran shares his experience of Pearl Harbor as he returned to the island to be honored for his duty to his country.

12 hours ago

(FILE) - Cars on a snowy road in a canyon. (KSL TV)...

Katija Stjepovic and Michael Houck, KSL TV

UHP, UDOT warn drivers to be prepared before driving on snowy roads

As the snowy weather hits Utah's valleys, UHP and UDOT wants every driver to be prepared for the upcoming snowy weather.

12 hours ago

Santa delivering gifts to the kids....

Mike Anderson and Michael Houck, KSL TV

Angel Flight pilots bring gifts, donations to Title I schools

A Title I school in St George is now heading into Christmas with a bunch of new school supplies, - toys for kids in need, and cash donations.

13 hours ago

File photo...

Michael Houck

8-year-old flown to hospital after falling from second-story window in Eagle Mountain

An 8-year-old girl was hospitalized after falling from a second-story window in Eagle Mountain Thursday evening.

14 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Stylish room interior with beautiful Christmas tree and decorative fireplace...

Lighting Design

Create a Festive Home with Our Easy-to-Follow Holiday Prep Guide

Get ready for festive celebrations! Discover expert tips to prepare your home for the holidays, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for unforgettable moments.

Battery low message on mobile device screen. Internet and technology concept...

PC Laptops

9 Tips to Get More Power Out of Your Laptop Battery

Get more power out of your laptop battery and help it last longer by implementing some of these tips from our guide.

Users display warnings about the use of artificial intelligence (AI), access to malicious software ...

Les Olson

How to Stay Safe from Cybersecurity Threats

Read our tips for reading for how to respond to rising cybersecurity threats in 2023 and beyond to keep yourself and your company safe.

Design mockup half in white and half in color of luxury house interior with open plan living room a...

Lighting Design

Lighting Design 101: Learn the Basics

These lighting design basics will help you when designing your home, so you can meet both practical and aesthetic needs.

an antler with large horns int he wilderness...

Three Bear Lodge

Yellowstone in the Fall: A Wildlife Spectacle Worth Witnessing

While most people travel to this park in the summer, late fall in Yellowstone provides a wealth of highlights to make a memorable experience.

a diverse group of students raising their hands in a classroom...

Little Orchard Preschool

6 Benefits of Preschool for Kids

Some of the benefits of preschool for kids include developing independence, curiosity, and learning more about the world.

Children Credited For Sounding The Alarm When SLC Garage Caught Fire