Children Credited For Sounding The Alarm When SLC Garage Caught Fire
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — A Salt Lake City neighborhood celebrated a group of boys whose quick action saved a neighbor’s home from catching fire.
The neighborhood on Oneida Street and 2100 South is a close-knit community. On Saturday, residents said they were extra grateful for the group of boys that decided to go outside for a game.
“We were going to play video games, but then we decided to play outside,” said Jack Marsh.
Jack and his friends went out to play laser tag around 7:30 p.m. Friday. It ended up being a game they will never forget.
A group of boys decided to ditch their playstation for a game outside. It's a choice they will never forget… when they spotted their neighbor's garage on fire. @KSL5TV #littlegiants #everydayheroes pic.twitter.com/J61qoUMM5n
— Garna Mejia KSL (@GarnaMejiaKSL) March 7, 2021
“I just remember smelling smoke and fire and (thought) who’s doing a BBQ right now?” Jack said.
The boys quickly realized something was off.
“The smell was like burnt rubber,” said Severin Gerhardt.
“I saw like a kind of glowing fire thing in the Kneaderhouse’s garage,” Jack said.
The neighbor’s car was on fire and the flames were quickly spreading inside the garage.
“I ran into the house and told my sister to call 911,” he said.
“It blew up! It basically just absorbed the entire garage!” said Jack’s sister, Maya Marsh.
The boys quickly jumped into action.
“I went inside and ran really fast and got my dad and the fire extinguisher and quickly ran over there,” said Jacob Gerhardt.
“Our dad then went in to actually try to extinguish the fire,” said Severin. “He immediately runs back out when he hears a boom.”
“The entire neighborhood was red from all the light from the fire,” said Maya. “Six fire trucks came!”
Firefighters arrived just in time to contain the flames before anyone was injured at Steve Niederhauser’s home.
“It would’ve burned probably another 15-20 minutes before anyone spotted it,” he said.
Steve said he was grateful the little giants decided to play outside.
“They certainly saved the day for us,” Niederhauser said.
The boys said they were just at the right place at the right time.
“It was good, but at the same time, ahhhh!” said Laurenz Gerhardt.
Officials said it appears the fire started in the car’s engine, even though it was off, adding that it was likely due to a brake fluid leak.
The homeowner said they would be contacting the manufacture.
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 15557)
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 12470)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9294)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 6279)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6040)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5879)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5783)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 5356)