988 Crisis Line Gets Funding Boost
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – KSL is focusing on Kids in Crisis to help arm parents with knowledge and resources to take on this difficult discussion.
If you or a family member are experiencing a mental health crisis, minutes can really be the difference between life and death. That’s why the new 988 crisis line is big step forward for providing critical mental health care.
“If we’re able to connect someone in crisis to the 988 call center, 90% of the time we are able to stabilize that individual over the phone,” said state Sen. Daniel Thatcher, R-West Valley City.
He’s been working for seven years on the bill to make sure Utah families have the help they need.
By summer 2022, all phone providers will be routing calls through 988 to make sure the right kind of experts are addressing those in need as quickly as possible.
“The smallest child, if they know what a phone is, they know how to get police, fire and ambulance,” Thatcher said. “And so the reason that 988 is so critical is because now we will have that same level of access. We will have people that, no matter what condition they are in, no matter how injured, no matter how distraught, we will always know that 988 gets you help.”
The bill that just passed gives a $5 million boost to Utah to be prepared for an influx of 988 calls.
As of now, the FCC and the department of health still recommend people in crisis call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
Visit liveonutah.org for tips on how to have these difficult discussion. Just know you don’t have to do it alone.
SUICIDE PREVENTION RESOURCES
If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts or exhibiting warning signs, call the Utah State Crisis Line: 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Additional Crisis Hotlines
- National Suicide Prevention Crisis Text Line: Text “HOME” to 741-741
- Trevor Project Hotline for LGBTQ teens: 1-866-488-7386
In an emergency
- Call 911
- Go to the emergency room
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)