Recognizing Signs Of Depression, Suicidal Thoughts In Teens
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah has consistently ranked as a state with one of the highest rates of suicide among teens.
Many people have disregarded worrisome behavior as typical teen behavior but there are some key differences.
The Utah State Board of Education says parents and teachers should:
- Listen for talk of suicide, feelings of hopelessness, or talk of feeling like a burden.
- Keep an eye out for an increase of alcohol or drug use, or withdrawal from activities.
- Recognize if a teen may isolatesp0 themselves from family and friends or sleep too much or too little.
- Be aware of moods such as depression, anxiety, loss of interest, irritability, agitation, or rage.
- Watch for sudden, unexplained calm after a long period of depression.
- Take notice if they are searching online for ways to kill themselves or are saying goodbye or seem to be tying up loose ends.
SUICIDE PREVENTION RESOURCES
If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts or exhibiting warning signs, call the Utah State Crisis Line: 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Additional Crisis Hotlines
- National Suicide Prevention Crisis Text Line: Text “HOME” to 741-741
- Trevor Project Hotline for LGBTQ teens: 1-866-488-7386
In an emergency
- Call 911
- Go to the emergency room
- Instagram account of missing woman returns after being deactivated (pageviews: 78969)
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito’s van in Grand Teton National Park – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 55145)
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito's van in Grand Teton National Park (pageviews: 49247)
- Grand County Sheriff’s Office investigating Moab murders & Petito disappearance (pageviews: 26801)
- Draper family: Airbnb no help after someone lists their home as a rental & guests started showing up – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 18842)
- Boyfriend of missing 22-year-old woman declared missing (pageviews: 15763)
- Draper family: Airbnb no help after someone lists their home as a rental & guests started showing up (pageviews: 13889)
- Moab police release details on incident between missing 22-year-old & boyfriend (pageviews: 11211)
- Boyfriend of missing woman breaks silence, releases statement through attorney (pageviews: 7605)