Study: Utah Children, Adults Report Increased Mental Stress During Pandemic
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A study from the Huntsman Mental Health Institute said 40% of Utahns reported an increase in anxiety and depression over the last year, with children being hit hardest overall.
Dr. Kristin Francis with the Huntsman Mental Health Institute said, “Some of these are patients who really have never sought any treatment before for any underlying mental health symptoms.”
Local researchers found four in 10 adults have reported symptoms of anxiety or depressive disorder. That is a four-fold increase since this time last year.
The data is especially startling when it comes to children. The number of young people reporting mental health issues is twice as high as adults.
In addition, the Utah crisis hotline saw a 48% increase in calls for help since the beginning of the pandemic.
SUICIDE PREVENTION RESOURCES
If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts or exhibiting warning signs, call the Utah State Crisis Line: 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Additional Crisis Hotlines
- National Suicide Prevention Crisis Text Line: Text “HOME” to 741-741
- Trevor Project Hotline for LGBTQ teens: 1-866-488-7386
In an emergency
- Call 911
- Go to the emergency room
- Instagram account of missing woman returns after being deactivated (pageviews: 95844)
- Moab police release details on incident between missing 22-year-old & boyfriend (pageviews: 34665)
- Moab police say they responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 17332)
- Moab Police responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend (pageviews: 16940)
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito's van in Grand Teton National Park (pageviews: 13719)
- One killed, another injured after industrial incident at University Hospital (pageviews: 12880)
- Boyfriend of missing 22-year-old woman named person of interest (pageviews: 11372)
- Moab police say they responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend (pageviews: 11125)
- Moab police release details on incident between missing 22-year-old & boyfriend (pageviews: 9961)