First Unitarian Church of SLC Joins Sanctuary Lawsuit Against ICE
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The First Unitarian Church of Salt Lake City joined a federal lawsuit against Immigration and Customs Enforcement that was previously filed by a Utah woman and three others who are currently living in sanctuary elsewhere in the U.S.
During a news conference Wednesday, leaders at The First Unitarian Church of Salt Lake said Wednesday they are joining the lawsuit as advocates for human rights.
For the last three years, the church has provided sanctuary for Vicky Chavez and her two daughters.
Chavez came to the U.S. in 2014 after fleeing the threat of domestic violence in Honduras.
Reverend Tom Goldsmith, Senior Minister, First Unitarian Church of Salt Lake City said, “The past three years have taught us that faith cannot be passive, it must fight alongside those who seek to right the tyranny of injustice.”
Vicky Chavez said, “I have faith that with the help of the Biden Administration we will be free.”
The lawsuit alleges that ICE targeted the sanctuary leaders with hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines in an attempt to stop the women from speaking out and participating in the sanctuary movement, a news release said.
The suit also calls on the Biden administration to end the fines and allow those in sanctuary to leave without fear of deportation.
- Instagram account of missing woman returns after being deactivated (pageviews: 95844)
- Moab police release details on incident between missing 22-year-old & boyfriend (pageviews: 34665)
- Moab police say they responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 17332)
- Moab Police responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend (pageviews: 16940)
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito's van in Grand Teton National Park (pageviews: 13719)
- One killed, another injured after industrial incident at University Hospital (pageviews: 12880)
- Boyfriend of missing 22-year-old woman named person of interest (pageviews: 11372)
- Moab police say they responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend (pageviews: 11125)
- Moab police release details on incident between missing 22-year-old & boyfriend (pageviews: 9961)