Busy Roads Anticipated Ahead Of Spring Break
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah roads are expected to be busier than normal Friday afternoon as families head out for spring break getaways.
The roads had dried up significantly Friday afternoon after overnight and early-morning storms, but officials said there are still likely to be some traffic issues.
“We’re expecting the busiest travel day is going to be today and really going to last all afternoon,” said John Gleason with the Utah Department of Transportation.
He said drivers may face delays because spring break is beginning for multiple schools along the Wasatch Front.
Traffic engineers said to plan on at least 15-minute delays. While the delays might not be significant, officials said it’s important for drivers to be aware of them because Utah’s traffic has been somewhat of a wild card during the pandemic.
In Salt Lake County, delays are expected from 2 – 9 p.m.
In Davis County, slowdown for southbound traffic is expected from 4 – 7 p.m. In northbound lanes, the slowdown is expected from 2 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Congestion is also likely near Moab, St. George and Spanish Fork Canyon.
“It’s nothing you can’t manage if you plan ahead and allow yourself an extra 15 minutes to get to where you’re going,” Gleason said. “But the ideal scenario is to avoid those traffic headaches altogether.”
To get there safely, whether you’re heading out of state or down south to the national parks, remember to put away the distractions, drive the speed limit and keep your eyes on the road.
As for the commute home, UDOT anticipates drivers will make staggered returns. However, Sunday could be busier than usual.
- Utah boy dies after falling off school slide (pageviews: 19686)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 9869)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 8132)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 7085)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 5854)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3704)