Red Hills Parkway In St. George Reopens Following Heavy Police Activity
ST. GEORGE, Utah – There was heavy police presence in St. George for approximately three hours after an individual threatened to harm himself, authorities said.
According to the St. George Police Department, the incident happened on Red Hills Parkway near 400 East.
Officials closed the parkway from 1000 East to 200 East while the situation unfolded. Police said traffic would be impacted and drivers should stay away from the area.
After a few hours, “negotiators successfully arranged for the subject to relinquish his firearm” and he was placed under medical care, according to a tweet from St. George Police.
Red Hills Parkway reopened to traffic just before 5 p.m.
Negotiators successfully arranged for the subject to relinquish his firearm and he is now under medical care.
Red Hills Parkway is now open and traffic can resume as normal. Thanks to County Deputies, DSU Police, and reps from Southwest Mental Health for your assistance.
— St George Police (@sgcitypubsafety) April 4, 2021
Additional details about the incident were not immediately available.
KSL 5 TV Live
- 'It just keeps coming': Warnings issued in Utah with wintry week ahead (pageviews: 9883)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 9675)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 8289)
- Police officer wounded, gunman killed in Springville shootout (pageviews: 7785)
- 2 accused of fraud across multiple states with help from Utah store employee (pageviews: 7017)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6751)