Salt Lake County Not Extending Mask Mandate Past April 10
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Officials with the Salt Lake County Council announced they will not extend the county’s mask mandate past the end of the state’s order, which will end on Saturday under Utah’s COVID-19 “endgame” bill.
Salt Lake County Health Department Director Gary Edwards recommended that the county not extend the mask mandate pursuant to the passage of HB294, and councilwoman Aimee Winder Newton urged residents during a press conference Wednesday to respect businesses that require masks past April 10.
Over 1.5 million vaccines have been administered in Utah and the state’s seven-day average of new COVID-19 cases has dropped for eight consecutive days.
“The data is looking very positive,” Salt Lake County Council Chair Steve DeBry said. “New cases of COVID-19 are decreasing, and each week Salt Lake County is vaccinating tens of thousands of residents, bringing us closer to the end of this pandemic. I would encourage Salt Lake County residents to continue to take action to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 so we don’t experience what happened last year. I ask that as a community we respect those who want to continue to wear a mask and businesses that may require it.”
Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson said masks will still be required at all county-owned facilities even after Utah’s mandate is lifted Saturday.
“Science and the CDC agree, we need to continue mask-wearing until we get further along in this pandemic,” Wilson said in a video statement posted on Twitter. “Let’s continue to wear masks and businesses, please do the same. At most, only a third of our residents have received the vaccine or have immunity to date and our kids won’t be able to see the vaccine for some time.”
— Mayor Jenny Wilson (@SLCoMayor) April 6, 2021
Businesses will still be allowed to make their own requirements for customers and K-12 schools will still require all staff and students to wear masks.
The Salt Lake City International Airport tweeted that masks will be required at the airport past Saturday.
Reminder: Face masks are required upon entering SLC International Airport today and after 4/10. Only ticketed passengers, employees and those doing business at the airport are allowed to enter the facilities. We are working to keep everyone safe and appreciate your cooperation. pic.twitter.com/NBFjCp8OVY
— SaltLakeCityAirport (@slcairport) April 7, 2021
- Woman, Children Terrorized In Road Rage Incident On I-15 (pageviews: 18183)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 11001)
- Customer Threatens To Shoot Up Salt Lake City Store Over Mask Requirement (pageviews: 8508)
- 37 Juveniles Arrested At Corner Canyon High School (pageviews: 5475)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3933)
- Two Deputies Injured, Suspect Killed In Shooting At Salt Lake County Jail (pageviews: 3870)
- Las Vegas Pushes To Become First To Ban Ornamental Grass (pageviews: 3696)
- If You're 50 Or Older: 5 Things To Know After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 3024)
- Are Californians To Blame For Utah’s Surging Home Prices? (pageviews: 2401)