One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The identity of the victim in a fatal motorcycle crash in Big Cottonwood Canyon has been identified by police.
The crash happened on State Route 190 near the Storm Mountain Park area.
Officials with the Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake said Michael Burkey from South Jordan was driving down the canyon Saturday when the crash happened.
Sgt. Melody Cutler said investigators determined the 55-year-old deliberately crossed over the double yellow line with the intend to bypass traffic.
During the maneuver, Burkey struck on oncoming passenger vehicle head on.
Emergency medical crews responded to the crash, but officials said he died at the scene.
Burkey was wearing a helmet.
Sgt. Cutler said, “with an impact like that, sometimes it just doesn’t matter” what safety gear a motorcyclist is wearing.
There were no injuries to the people in the passenger vehicle.
Investigation were working to determine how fast the motorcycle was going and if there were other contributing factors.
The road was closed while crews worked at the scene.
TRAFFIC ALERT 🚨: SR-190 in Big Cottonwood Canyon is closed to uphill and downhill traffic due to a crash near the Storm Mountain Park area, according to UDOT officials. pic.twitter.com/0lLuozyz5C
— KSL 5 TV (@KSL5TV) April 10, 2021
KSL 5 TV Live
- 'It just keeps coming': Warnings issued in Utah with wintry week ahead (pageviews: 9883)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 9675)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 8289)
- Police officer wounded, gunman killed in Springville shootout (pageviews: 7785)
- 2 accused of fraud across multiple states with help from Utah store employee (pageviews: 7017)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6751)