Non-Custodial Parent, Family Members Arrested After Standoff With Police
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Several people were arrested after police said they refused to let officers check on a 2-year-old child who had reportedly been kidnapped by a non-custodial parent.
The incident began around 6:30 p.m. Saturday when the Salt Lake City Police Department got a call from investigators with the West Valley City Police Department asking for air in the arrest of the suspect.
Officers responded to the home at 713 N. Star Crest Drive in Salt Lake. They said they made contact with the suspect, 25-year-old Francisco Yanagui, who resisted arrest.
“Numerous family members came to (the suspect’s) aid, to the point that officers had to remove themselves from the situation and allow him to retreat into the house,” said Lt. Lisa Pascadlo.
Police said Yanagui refused to come out of the house, and kept the 2-year-old child with him.
SWAT officers were called to the scene to negotiate with Yanagui and the other family members. After they were unsuccessful, officers made entry into the home and took Yanagui into custody without incident.
He was taken into custody on charges of kidnapping. Three other adults and one juvenile were arrested for obstruction of justice.
Lt. Pascadlo said the child was unharmed and returned to custodial family members.
Yanagui already faced previous charges for an incident in Dec. 2020. In that situation, he was charged with kidnapping, child endangerment, burglary, criminal mischief, assault, and seven counts of domestic violence in the presence of a child.
- Neighborhood supports family of West Jordan mom killed in Big Cottonwood Canyon crash (pageviews: 8218)
- Two teens killed in Lehi crash (pageviews: 5430)
- Heber homicide suspect found dead in Oregon (pageviews: 5285)
- Utah player suffers tragic accident just days before Little League World Series (pageviews: 4302)
- Several churches vandalized in Sandy and Orem (pageviews: 3784)
- Family friend remembers expectant West Jordan mother killed in crash (pageviews: 3460)