Police Searching For Gunman After Two Boys Shot, Injured In Sandy
SANDY, Utah — Two boys were shot and injured while walking along the sidewalk in Sandy, according to police.
The incident happened near 8800 South and 200 East Friday afternoon.
A white car, possibly a Volkswagen, pulled up next to a 12-year-old boy and 14-year-old boy, police said, when a gunman inside started shooting at them.
Feet from a crossroads, the street was intersected by crime tape.
“At first, I thought somebody may have been clipped by the TRAX train,” said Dale Meeker. “When I came around and I looked, I said, ‘Nope, there’s something more than that!'”
“Earlier today, we just heard three shots — consecutive — just bop, bop, bop, that was about it,” said Noah Vickers.
UPDATE: Police say white car pulled up and shot at 12-year-old and 14-year-old boys who were walking along the sidewalk, wounding both; detectives say both have non-life-threatening injuries and were not from the area; unclear the connection, if any, between the boys and the car.
— Andrew Adams (@AndrewAdamsKSL) April 17, 2021
The shots rang out close to houses.
Investigators said the boys were from Midvale. They don’t know why they were in the area or who shot them.
“Very young, yes. We hate to see these young kids involved in these types of incidents,” said Sgt. Clay Swensen with the Sandy Police Department.
“Yeah, looks like there are shell casings or markings from flying bullets,” said Meeker.
As detectives hunted down clues to solve the crime, people couldn’t believe how the quiet Sandy street got crossed up in this.
“Don’t get this stuff up in this neighborhood too much,” said Meeker.
Both boys were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, according to detectives.
Police said it was unclear if there was a connection between the victims and the car.
- Rare Wolverine Sighting Reported At Antelope Island State Park (pageviews: 8369)
- Utah’s Health Orders Terminated After Meeting ‘Endgame Bill’ Criteria – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4524)
- Salt Lake City Homeowners Set Trap, Catch Thief On Camera – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4477)
- Utah's Health Orders Terminated After Meeting 'Endgame Bill' Criteria (pageviews: 4471)
- Woman Released From Hospital After Surviving 5 Months In The Wild (pageviews: 4073)
- Salt Lake City Homeowners Set Trap, Catch Thief On Camera (pageviews: 3888)
- Jurassic Quest Brings Life-Size Dino Exhibit To Utah (pageviews: 2812)
- Utah Brothers Volunteer For Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Trial In Children (pageviews: 2468)
- Venmo Scams: Protecting Yourself From Fraudsters (pageviews: 2233)