Woman Dies From Injuries Sustained In Wrong-Way Freeway Crash
MURRAY, Utah – A 19-year-old woman who was critically injured Monday night in a wrong-way crash on the I-15/I-215 interchange in Salt Lake County has died from her injuries, police said.
Police did not release the victim’s name.
The Unified Police Department said a white truck hit a parked UPD vehicle at the substation in Cottonwood Heights, then took off in the wrong direction on the transition ramp from southbound I-15 to eastbound I-215.
“Two motorists were in the area, traveling correctly on the interchange, where the subject met them, impacting the first vehicle head-on, seriously injuring two victims and their dog,” read a probable cause affidavit.
One of the victims was the woman who died.
Police did not provide an update on the condition of the other passenger.
The dog was taken to a veterinarian hospital, according to officers.
A second vehicle was hit during the incident. That driver sustained injuries, but did not go to the hospital.
Police said the wrong-way driver, 35-year-old Justin Robertson, ran from the scene, but did not get far before officers captured him.
Robertson told officers he had taken some meth “10 to 30 minutes before the crash,” the court document said.
Police said his registration expired a year ago, his license had been suspended and he did not have insurance.
Robertson faces 14 charges, including two counts of DUI with serious bodily injury and three counts of failure to remain at an accident with serious injuries.
“[Robertson] stated he had planned the events of the night and had done them on purpose,” according to the affidavit.
- Rare Wolverine Sighting Reported At Antelope Island State Park (pageviews: 8369)
- Utah’s Health Orders Terminated After Meeting ‘Endgame Bill’ Criteria – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4524)
- Salt Lake City Homeowners Set Trap, Catch Thief On Camera – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4477)
- Utah's Health Orders Terminated After Meeting 'Endgame Bill' Criteria (pageviews: 4471)
- Woman Released From Hospital After Surviving 5 Months In The Wild (pageviews: 4073)
- Salt Lake City Homeowners Set Trap, Catch Thief On Camera (pageviews: 3888)
- Jurassic Quest Brings Life-Size Dino Exhibit To Utah (pageviews: 2812)
- Utah Brothers Volunteer For Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Trial In Children (pageviews: 2468)
- Venmo Scams: Protecting Yourself From Fraudsters (pageviews: 2233)