Video Of Dog Joining High School Track Race Goes Viral
LOGAN, Utah – A video clip has been making the rounds after a dog decided to make a run for the finish line at a Logan track meet. It was an embarrassing moment for the dog’s owners, but the runner who won the race said there were no hard feelings.
Holly the dog crossed the finish line at Logan High School first, but officially it was Gracie Laney’s team who took first place in that event. She’s a senior at Logan High.
While nearly everyone else there knew what was going on, Laney didn’t.
This started as a sort of underdog story. The Logan girls were coming in last place in the first half of their relay.
“Then our third leg runner came in, and she was coming in first, and so I kind of got really excited,” Laney said.
She would have to keep that lead in the final leg.
“I was like, ‘This is our chance. We could win this race.’ And so, you know, I was trying to focus,” she said.
Then there was the real underdog, and the crowd going wild.
She could hear the cheering, the noise from the crowd, and knew that someone was getting closer to her as she neared the finish line.
“I did notice that the crowd was going kind of crazy,” Laney said. “But, you know, it was a big meet, and so I just thought there’s a lot of people here.”
You see, Holly the dog loves to run, and her owners said when she saw that baton, she darted – yanking the leash from their hands.
And just as Holly made that final sprint to the finish line…
“Then I was like, ‘This is a dog! Dog on the track! And so it was kind of crazy, and there was a lot of stuff going through me head,” she said.
As Holly the dog got closer, Laney said she realized it couldn’t be a person, and then her first worry was that she might trip or hurt the dog.
“Luckily nothing happened,” Laney said. “I was a little scared that I was going to spike the dog, or I was going to trip over it or something would happen, but nothing did luckily.”
Holly was running with her leash in tow, and it could have ended up with an injury to Laney or Holly, but everyone came out just fine.
Holly took first, but Laney’s team ultimately got the credit. Holly’s owners say they’re embarrassed and sorry, but Laney said it’s all good.
“I honestly am just glad that we didn’t get hurt,” she said. “It’s a fun experience.”
Laney’s only request out of this is that she’d like a picture with Holly.
- Prices are Surging. Here's What Is Getting More Expensive (pageviews: 6277)
- Taylorsville Teen Dismembered, Stabbed (pageviews: 5495)
- Locations For Smithfield, Two Other Temples Announced (pageviews: 4697)
- Wasatch Co. Family Remembers Mother Killed In Fiery Heber City Crash (pageviews: 4008)
- Teen Drowns During Water Polo Practice (pageviews: 3161)
- Four People Were Rescued Off A Boat 'Teetering' At The Edge Of A Texas Dam, Police Say (pageviews: 3089)
- Friends, Family Remember Two High School Graduates Who Died In Fiery Crash – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2692)
- Firefighters Close US Highway 6 Due To Bear Fire; Reopenings Possible Throughout Day – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2118)
- Disneyland Resort Dropping Out-Of-State Restrictions Next Week (pageviews: 2078)